The Grange Arms has the distinct honour of being the only 'Grange Arms' in the whole of the UK. There has been an inn in Hornby since at least 1775 and the building still retains many original features.
In 1775 the innkeeper was Thomas Watson. He and his wife Margaret and their family of 6 children kept the inn till 1781.
William Pamley then became the landlord and he remained until 1824. He had married another Margaret, probably in 1764, and their family of five children children grew up in Hornby. Willian died in 1825 aged 87. His second wife Susannah was landlady for a few years and in 1828 and 1829 George Smith was her guarantor. In 1844 George Smith is recorded as the owner of the inn. He was a joiner and lived in Hornby.
The first reference to the inn’s name is in 1822 when it was called The Cock or Blackcock Inn. When it was owned by George Smith The name was changed to the Joiners Arms.
The Horsfall family lived at Hornby Grange in the 19th century and in about 1860 they bought the Joiners Arms and renamed it the Horsfall Arms. The top photo taken in about 1900 shows the Inn then named the Grange Arms with the Horsfall Arms Sign Board still in situ. The sign board shows 3 horses heads, this is the Horsfall family crest.
In 1870 Mrs Dorothy Alderson was the innkeeper and between 1879 and 1910 there were a succession of inn keepers: William Chapman, William Storey, Lionel Edwards and William Holborn. In this period the inns name was changed to the Grange Arms.
By 1911 the landlady was Elizabeth Fleetham and she and her daughter Elizabeth Morley were the innkeepers until 1937.
In 1971 the building was altered and the entrance moved to the side of the building.
The Post Box (V.R.) set in the wall of the pub was sealed up in 1997 and a new free standing post box erected in Garthside.
This research was done by members of the Hornby and Smeaton History Group.